Animal Control

In Kowanyama

Council has animal rules and regulations in place to protect the community against injury and damage, to ensure animals don’t create a nuisance or hazard to health & safety and to make sure animals are kept and used in a way that is consistent with the rights and expectations of the local community.

Legal responsibility of pet owners

Pet/animal owners are legally responsible for everything their animal does, including when it is outside their property. If an animal attacks or injures another animal or person, the owner will face significant fines and could lose their animal. If a person is injured or if property is damaged, the owner of the animal will be held liable for any damages or injury.

Cattle, sheep, horses and goats

The keeping of cattle, sheep, horses and goats is absolutely prohibited on land having an area less than 4000m². A permit is required to keep any of the above animals on land equal to or more than 4000m².

The keeping of three or more of the stated animals on any land in the Town area is absolutely prohibited.

For more information about the keeping of cattle, sheep, horses and goats in Kowanyama please contact Council


If attacked by an animal

  • If it’s an emergency, call triple zero – 000
  • Report the attack to council by contacting us


A maximum of five (5) poultry are allowed to be kept before a permit is required.

Poultry cages/pens have to be kept clean and odour free so as not to cause nuisance to surrounding residents.

Keeping of a rooster/s is absolutely prohibited on land less than 4000m2 (1 acre). If kept within the required area, the keeper has to ensure the neighbouring residents will not be affected with a noise nuisance.


The keeping of any pigs on any land is absolutely prohibited except where development approval to keep pigs has been granted under the Town Planning Scheme.

Pest animals

The keeping of declared pests such as dingos/feral dogs, feral pigs, feral cats, and/or rabbits is absolutely prohibited on any land and can attract severe fines in excess of $30,000 under the Land Protection (Stock Route and Pest Management) Act 2002.


    Register your dog & identify your cat

    All dogs must be registered after 3 months of age, with a current registration tag affixed to a collar at all times. You can register your dog at the Lands Office. Registration is renewable annually. Owners who fail to register their dogs with council may face penalties/fines. A permit is required if you:

    • Have more than 2 dogs (A maximum of 3 may be allowed subject to conditions)
    • Have a dog in a multiple dwelling

    A permit is required to keep more than two cats. Where cats are kept on a premises they must be adequately identified so that the owner’s name, address and telephone number are readily ascertainable. It is recommended that cat owners have their cats micro-chipped and desexed.

    Animal Registration Application Form
    Application Form for Approval of Excess Dogs/Cats



    Animals found wandering at large on public land may be impounded by council’s authorised officers. Animals trespassing on private land may be impounded by the occupier of the land and surrendered to council (Council is not obliged to accept custody of an animal impounded in this way).

    To enquire about animals impounded by council, contact  the Lands Office on (07) 4083 7155.

    Take note: the owner of an impounded animal is required to either reclaim the animal and pay the prescribed fees within three working days, or contact the council’s Local Laws team and advise them they do not wish to reclaim the animal.

    The pound is available to release animals only between the hours of 8am to 3pm Monday through Thursday (excluding public holidays) and fees are to be paid at the Main Council Office. Once the prescribed fees are paid, the receipt should be taken to the Animal Control Officer