Search Kowanyama
(07) 4083 7100

Changes to Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council's Alcohol Management Plan

A new alcohol carriage limit starts on 29 April 2022.

What is the New Carriage Limit?

Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council's new carriage limit is:

  • 2 litres of wine, and
  • 4.5 litres (12 x 375mls cans) of either beer or premixed spirits (or any combination of) less than 4% ABV.

 For example, 4.5L is equal to:

One 12-pack of mid-strength (less than 4%) alcohol. Two 6-packs of mid-strength (less than 4%) alcohol. A combination of any mid-strength alcohol up to a limit of 12 x 375ml cans.


What does 'Carriage Limit' Mean?

The carriage limit is the most amount of alcohol that:

  • each person is allowed to carry on foot; or
  • can be carried in a vehicle, on a boat or plane, regardless of the number of people in the vehicle, boat or plane.

Most plane companies do not allow anyone to take alcohol on board, including in their luggage or freight. Please check with the airline before booking or boarding on a flight.

In Queensland, you are not allowed to drink alcohol in a public place.

You can only drink alcohol in your home or at someone else's home if they invite you to, or at a special community event where alcohol is permitted.

Home brew and home brew equipment are still baneed in Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council. It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license in Queensland.

How do I find the Alcohol Concentration?

The alcohol concentration is always shown on the drink container and any packaging. The labels will sometimes say "mid" on the can, but remember to look for the percentage of alcohol as well and make sure it is less than 4%. 


What if I Carry More than is Allowed under the New Carriage Limit?

  • You may be fined.
  • You could go to prison.
  • Your vehicle may be taken from you.

Make your House a Dry Place

A 'dry place' is a house where no alcohol is allowed. If you are a tenant, an owner-occupier or a lessee-occupier you can apply to make your house a dry place. Residents who wish to declare their home a dry home can do so by visiting the Queensland Police Service. 

More information regarding dry place declarations including the application form is available from the Queensland Government's website.

Dry Place Declarations Fact Sheet


WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are warned that the following program may contain images and voices of deceased persons.